Friday, December 23, 2011

Crossing


I am (finally) finished with work for the holidays. I have the next 10 days off and am thankful.
We had lots of rain yesterday.  Coming home was a bit terrifying.
The water at the first crossing was up to the headlights of the truck.
Luckily, my faithful Blue didn't stall out in the middle of the spring
or hit some giant rock that had been washed down.
At the next crossing, the water was so deep and muddy, I couldn't really see the outlines of the culvert.
Still I continued with bated breath and made that crossing without driving off into the spring.
With a sigh of relief, I parked the truck, pulled on my rubber boots, gathered up the two bags of groceries, and trudged on.
More fast, deep, and muddy water awaited at the final crossing.
One of the problems with that is that the water tends to wash gullies you can't see.
With stick in hand, I felt my way to step into the thigh high water.  Fast water is cold.
I thought I was going to be swept off my feet, but adrenaline kicked in and I made it across.
Knees shaking, I clambered up the hill.  Funny thing about boots full of water; they are extremely difficult to get off.  That, of course, made me laugh out loud.....

Today, I found the flying squirrel the cats and I chased around the cabin the other evening.  Eew.
On tomorrow's agenda: Go to Lowe's for more cans of "greatstuff" to spray into newly discovered mouse/squirrel holes.  I am determined to win this war.  The cats are exhausted from supervising the find the dead squirrel mission and both are piled up in front of the wood stove.  The pup, tired from his adventure crossing the much receded spring, is sleeping soundly.  


4 comments:

  1. Thigh high water???? That is so scary! We need to get you a bridge stat!

    That picture is so wonderful. It's just stunning! It really captures the beauty that's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading this about the water makes me want to say "that's my girl, tough and courageous" but then I think "wait she's not my girl" but the rest is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn I love that hill side photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm thinking I need some kind of line with a pulley...The photo is the view from the living room window.

    ReplyDelete